Daniel Ricciardo moves from Renault to McLaren for 2021, Carlos Sainz joins Ferrari as a replacement for Sebastian Vettel



Australian Daniel Ricciardo and Renault have decided to leave and the driver is set to race for McLaren in 2021, the British Formula 1 team said in a statement on Thursday.

The 30-year-old, who has won seven games for Red Bull, will work with British driver Lando Norris to replace Spanish Carlos Sainz, who is set to join Ferrari as a replacement for Sebastian Vettel.

Ferrari confirmed the arrival of Sainz after announcing on Tuesday that Vettel would leave Maranello after six years.

According to McLaren, Ricciardo has signed a multi-year deal with the former champions, who finished fourth overall last year but have not won a game since 2012.

"Daniel's signing is another step forward in our long-term plan and will bring an exciting new dimension to the team, along with Lando," said McLaren Racing CEO Zak Brown.

As for Sainz, the American pays tribute to the driver for "the excellent work he did for McLaren in helping the performance recovery plan."

"He is a real player of the team and we wish him well for his future beyond McLaren," he added.

Renault issued a brief statement saying talks with Ricciardo on renewing his contract were not successful.

However, they did not give any indication as to who could replace Ricciardo, although according to media speculation, the two-time world champion Fernando Alonso could return to the team. He had won titles with them in 2005 and 2006.

The 38-year-old Spaniard last drove for McLaren in Formula 1 in 2018.

"In our sport, and especially in the current state of emergency, mutual trust, unity and commitment are, more than ever, critical values ​​for a work team," said Renault team leader Cyril Abiteboul.

"I am convinced that the 2020 season will allow us to achieve even more together. Our ambitions and the strategy of the Renault DP World F1 Team remain unchanged."