The Lowe Home Optimization giant has announced its intention to stop carrying paint dryers containing two chemicals accused of dozens of deaths.
Lowe will close 51 underwater stores in North America, the company said on Monday.
The move – which includes the closure of 20 stores in the United States and 31 stores in Canada – is part of a revaluation strategy in which the company said it plans to focus "on its most profitable stores and improve the overall health of its branch portfolio."
"While decisions that affect our affiliates are never easy, closing stores is a necessary step in our strategic reassessment as we focus on building a stronger business," Marvin R. Ellison, chairman and CEO of Lowe, said in a statement.
The company said it intends to close these stores by 1 February 2019. In order to do this, Lowe will conduct "store closures" for most of the affected areas.
Lowe has made major changes last year. After Managing Director of 13 years Robert Niblock withdrew in March, while the company brought Ellison, the former CEO of J.C. Penney in May. Since taking over, Ellison has made several reforms, including banning some decolorizing colors and planning to shut down all Orchard Supply Hardware stores.
According to a SEC submission from February, Lowe has more than 2,000 stores in North America.
Here are the stores that will close in the United States:
- 1100 Bankhead Hwy SW, Graysville, Ala.
- 26501 Aliso Creek Rd., Aliso Viejo, Calif.
- 13300 Jamboree Rd., Irvine, Calif.
- 720 Dubuque Ave., South San Francisco, Calif.
- 750 Newhall Dr., San Jose, California.
- 48 Boston Post Rd., Orange, Conn.
- 1333 Schaefer Rd., Granite City, Ill.
- 7735 Grand Ave., Gurnee, Ill.
- 6221 US Hwy 6, Portage, Ind.
- 5770 Read Blvd., New Orleans
- 599 Thomas Burgin Pkwy, Quincy, Mass.
- 4274 E Court St., Burton, Mich.
- 2100 T.A. Mansour Blvd., Flint, Mich.
- 2015 Bassett Dr., Mankato, Minn.
- 11974 Paul Mayer Ave., Bridgeton, Mo.
- 3180 N Hwy 67, Florissant, Mo.
- 2008 Broadway, New York
- 635-641 6th Ave., New York
- 250 South Conestoga Dr., Shippensburg, Penn.
- 3500 W Fwy Airport, Irving, Texas
Follow US TODAY intern Ben Tobin on Twitter: @TobinBen
Read or share this story: https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2018/11/05/lowes-closes-stores-20-shut-doors-united-states-next-year/1889734002/