The Ultimate Guide to Holiday Vacations in Australia • The Blonde Abroad

Ultimate guide to working Visa holidays in Australia

Australia was one of my first major international trips and will always hold a special place in my heart. In fact, it was the birthplace of this site! On my first visit, I was on a typical tourist visa.

This common tourist visa is officially called Subcategory 601 and allows you to visit Australia for up to three months at a time in a given year.

It is a fairly convenient visa because you can enter the country as many times as you like during one year. So theoretically, you could explore some of Australia, make friends and head to Bali with them and then go back to Australia … maybe I know from personal experience. 😉

It's also pretty darn cheap! You will pay 20 AUD (about US $ 14) for e-mail application and because they are all electronically processed, you can often get it within 24 hours. If you are only planning to travel to Australia for 90 days or less, that's what you will need!

However, if Australia steals your heart (like mine!), You need to do a bit more planning if you want to stay longer. This leads us to working visas!

Many people who want to explore Oz in-depth, work somewhere else for a change of scenery or make a gap time to choose a Working Holidays visa down! I do not know where to start? Do not worry buddy!

Here's your Australian Job Visa Guide!

What is a professional holiday visa?

The name pretty much sums it up: it's a balance between work and play! The idea of ​​Working Holiday is to allow you to divide your time between work and exploration.

It is ideal for those who want to stay in Australia for more than 90 days at a time, take a time gap and make little money while traveling. Oh, and for those who think maybe they want to make Australia a permanent home one day – it's a good way to plant roots, find possible employment choices and see if it is a viable option.

Where do you need to travel with Work and Holiday?

I'm glad you asked! The options are endless – you may find that you absolutely admire Byron Bay or Sydney and settle there, or you might like the Melbourne atmosphere. You could even travel by road or take the train and visit Uluru and Alice Springs (here is an epic route to the Outback!). Of course, you have to reach the Great Coral Reef.

As I said above, work and work feast (or job vacancies) are done so that you can public holiday!

10 Tips for your First Journey to Australia

From foreign landscapes to animals to diving spots … and I can not even start with food – Australia definitely deserves a spot on your bucket list. Are you ready for a life-less adventure down?

read more

Work Holiday 417 Visa

The best visa for you will depend on where you are.

If you are from Belgium, Canada, Cyprus, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Korea, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, Taiwan or the United Kingdom. Subclass visa 417 (also known as Working visa).

If you are from one of these countries and you are 18 to 30 years old (or 18 to 35 years old if you are Canadian, French or Irish), 417 is a prime choice. It is intended for those who want to extend their stay and finance them with local work.

This visa costs $ 440 AUD and you can apply online. While you can work while in Australia, you need to have enough money to support yourself …in any case. It's a requirement to save at least $ 5,000 AUD.

Why is this necessary? The Australian Government wants to make sure you have enough money to book a home ticket in case you do not end up finding a job or spending all your money … Tim Tamwrapped!) But I am serious to have proof of funds in your bank account.

Bondi Icebergs, Sydney

Work and Vacation 462 Visa

Similar to visa 417, there is a subclass 462 (also known as a work and residence visa) for people aged 18 to 30 who do not belong to one of the countries listed above. These visas are both, according to the Australian government "A temporary visa for young people who want to take a break and work in Australia for a year."

To qualify for 462 visas, you must be from Argentina, Austria, Bangladesh, Chile, China, the Czech Republic, Hungary, Indonesia, Israel, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Peru, Portugal, San Marino, Singapore, Spain, Thailand, Turkey, USA, Uruguay or Vietnam.

American readers-that's probably the visa you'll want!

This visa 462 costs $ 485 AUD (337 USD). While visa 417 tends to be instant, visa 462 can take up to two months to get approval, so make sure you leave enough time to book your ticket.

You will need to have at least $ 5,000 AUD ($ 3,479 USD) in your bank account and cover some additional requirements.

There are definite educational requirements, English skills and (if you are not from Israel, China, Singapore or the US), you will need to receive a letter of support from your national government. Read more about the requirements here!

The implementation process

Whether you are doing a 462 or 417 Visa,

I would just suggest going through the Australian Government website. There are companies that will sell a visa service, but in my opinion it is a waste of time and money.

The application process to get one of these visas is extremely simple, as long as you follow the instructions and provide the appropriate documents. Yes, you may need to collect some documents that can be tedious but the actual application could not be easier!

Sydney Opera House

Fine printing

Once you receive your visa (electronically! It's not usually someone who needs to print and does not need a sticker in your passport – so do not worry!), You have 365 days for your Aussie experience. If you received your visa on 1 February, you must come and go by 1 February of the following year.

During this year, you will have the opportunity to work for up to six months with an employer. There are some industry and location restrictions, so you read on the official visa website before you get all your plans.

Beyond the limitations of work, it is quite simple. You can study up to four months and re-enter the Oz as many times as you like while your visa is valid!

Tips for finding a rental

So, it certainly depends on how long you plan to stay in any location. If you are only in any place for a few weeks, you may want to choose to stay in hostels or book Airbnb.

But if you stay longer, there is a ton of legit rental companies across Australia! However, it may often be difficult to mark a position unless you sign a long-term lease.

Gumtree is Australia's response to Craigslist … but it can be a slow and messy way to find a place. You should definitely investigate if you are looking to rent one of these places as a number of scams may emerge. But sometimes * you can find rents in this way, just take precautions.

That being said, agencies list is the key place to find a home to call your own. The organization's listings are usually cheaper than the long-term Airbnb options, but they are more reliable than you can find in Gumtree. Another choice – check if there are home tables or local coffee ads!

As you search, keep in mind that prices are always listed per week rather than per month! So it's not as cheap as it may seem.

Make sure you have travel insurance

I have said it once and we will say it again: travel insurance saves the day! If you asked me during my first Aussie trip, I would say it was a waste of money. But I've lived and learned, and here's why you need travel insurance.

You never know what's going to happen, especially when you're abroad … maybe an annoyance of Jack Jumper or your flight can be canceled due to mad weather in Sydney.

Map of Australia

Take a Second Job and Visa Vacations

Do you want to stay in Australia even more? I do not blame you!

For those who are wondering, you can not * just extend your visa, but you can apply for a second work and residence visa if you meet these requirements. Which is almost the same thing!

For those with visa 462 and visa 417, you must have completed 3 months of specific work on your first work and residence visa and then apply for a second. And by July 2019, if you really want to stay longer – you can explore options to stay for the third year!

In total

Getting a working visa is a great way to travel to Australia – with that, you can balance your time between work and exploration and see as much as Oz has to offer!

Do you think of a working visa or did you do so in the past? I would love to know about your experience in the comments below!